Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chapter One: Why I Like Tea and Scones When it Rains

Okay, so I'm not jumping right in to the writing autobiography. Mostly because I only have about ten minutes until the scones are done, and that isn't enough time to document the long, tumultuous story of how Just Hanna became Hanna the Aspiring Author.

What I want to say now is only that, today, on my day off, I am experiencing a state of elevated bliss which can only be achieved through the presence of these specific elements:

- A steady downpour outside, fully visible through a balcony window.
- Jazz music.
- Goldish lamplight.
- The promise of a good book and a good movie, for later.
- A dog and a cat with sleepy afternoon expressions.
- The smell of raisin scones and Irish breakfast tea, shortly to be served with clotted cream and blackberry jam.

For some reason, dismal weather seems to positively scream "Tea and Scones" to me. Maybe this is because their native environment is prone to being grey and rainy, or maybe it's just a result of my having had a PERFECT tea once upon a time on a rainy day in Salisbury.

[Sidenote: don't you think "grey" spelled with an "e" should be applied to things like skies, and rain, and clouds, and oceans, whereas "gray" with an "a" should be reserved for eyes, fabrics, and all things Tolkien-elvish?]

All this is to say that, despite the fact that I currently have a deceased Rosemary topiary slumped in my kitchen sink, I am having an absolutely top-notch day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment